Sunday, February 12, 2012

Machine Quilting with Leah Day - Week 6

This week was much easier, since we have been stippling for six weeks now, stippling has become second nature. Well, almost. There is still the occasional glitch, but that has less to do with stippling and more to do with equipment/technical difficulties.


The assignment this week was to finish the prior week's quilt with stippling in the background that surrounded the stars, as well as in the sashing and borders. The key to successfully completing the assignment was to devise a route to follow. I started at the tip of the star point in the center block that points to the right and headed down the sashing, filling in the star backgrounds that adjoined the sashing. When I reached the border I pivoted the quilt 90 degrees and filled in the lower background triangle of the center block. Once that was done I pivoted the quilt 90 degrees to fill in the other sashing and adjacent backgrounds.  At the top of the sashing I pivoted again completed the border by going around counter clockwise. I never boxed myself into a corner!


Micro, Mid-sized and Maxi Stippling

The image above showcases the three sizes of stippling used to make this table runner. I selected a Marathon polyester variegated thread to quilt the star and an unknown brand polyester thread from my stash for the background and sashing.



The rich plum  polyester thread I selected stands out nicely in the lilac background pieces and completely disappears in the sashing fabric. An issue I ran into with this thread was that it required a thread stand to glide smoothly off the spool. I struggle with the best place to locate the spool next to machine. If I place it behind the machine the quilt bumps into and can result in problems. I placed it to the right of the machine. Sometime in the process of unspooling the thread puddled, then snagged. I sensed something was up, but just a nano second before I snapped the needle. I moved the spool from the horizontal feeder to the vertical feeder and added a band of netting. That solved the problem this time.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilting! I now use a spool stand and put it to the right and slightly behind. I hadn't thought to use a band a netting, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Gwyned. I've found Leah's advice on NOT ending up in a corner really helpful: it's so satisfying to be able to keep sewing without all the pauses to move the quilt, and good to have far fewer threads to bury when I've finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bicycle in the stippling. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwyned, this is gorgeous. I do think stippling is natural to you! Your different scales of stippling really enhance your project. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many kind comments. Thank Anne, Anita and R&J. Practice is the key and I have been at this for 15 years. :)

    Pat, that is where I ultimately put my thread stand, too. It works most of the time. Of course, there are days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowser!! I have a lot more practice to get to your level. That bicycle looks so darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Texastam. I'm rather partial to that tricycle, too!

    ReplyDelete