Friday, May 9, 2014

Week in Review 2014 - 05/09





Feeling Groovy
4" H x 6" W
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

The week before I was playing with a new technique. This week I am gently easing myself back to working on items that I am committed to. I have returned to what I refer to as the Zen of quilting. I use the word Zen very loosely here. When I am repeating the same free motion quilting pattern to a point where my mind is both focused on the task and free to wander it is a form of meditation for me. I find myself in a relaxed state of contentment. It seemed that every project I worked on this week brought me to contentment. Ironic how playing with something new can be more stressful than working on pieces with deadlines, but using tried and true techniques.

 Here is what I achieved as I relaxed this week.

Little Lake Butte des Morts in Fall
begins to take shape
1) Little Lake Butte des Morts in Fall (Due August 3) 

a) Create the blue print for this quilt - Done
b) Start the piecing - Done

This is a huge accomplishment for me since this piece is a commission. The terror of beginning was stifling. Now that I have a formal blue print and feel confident in my fabric palette it is like putting down a 40 pound backpack after a full day's hike.

Watermelon
4" H x 6" W

2) Wild Apple 12" x 12" Opportunity - (Due August 15)

a) Create several small works for the exhibition - Done

I cut up Raspberry Lime Rickey from last week to make several 4" H x 6" W pieces. I will be mounting each piece on an 8" H x 10" W white mat board and framing them in a shadow box frame of the same size. 

3) Leah Day projects.

a) Baste the face, torso and arms to Express Your Love II. - On hold until the quilts with deadlines are completed.

b) Do Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting lesson. - Done

I recently treated myself to a panel of Leah Day's cheater cloth. I thought it would be a fun way to practice the various free motion quilting motifs she demos on her videos. Growing Sprouts was the perfect motif to use in the hair.


4) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments. - Done

Even the mixed media assignment of the week felt like the Zen of mixed media. Our instructor, Danielle Daniel had us start with a meditation. The goal of the assignment was to create a piece that illustrated the process of taking a moment out of a busy schedule to refresh oneself.

I will be taking several weeks off from working in my studio and writing my blog. When I return this is what I plan to return to:

1) Little Lake Butte des Morts in Fall (Due August 3) 

a) Finish piecing the background
b) Start the quilting

2) Wild Apple 12" x 12" Opportunity - (Due August 15)

a) Create several more small works for the exhibition

3) Leah Day projects.

a) Baste the face, torso and arms to Express Your Love II. - On hold until the quilts with deadlines are completed.

b) Do Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting lesson.

4) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments.


I am now linking up to two blogs on Friday's. The first is Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project and the second is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment