Friday, December 19, 2014

The Positive Link Between Cancer and Quilts


My sister, Dawn, deriving comfort from
the quilt I made especially for her to use
while undergoing chemotherapy.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

My husband I have just returned from a trip to Tucson, AZ. The purpose of the trip was to advocate for my aunt. She recently turned 91, struggles with Parkinson's Disease and its companion, Lewy Body Dementia.  I have been my aunt's guardian and health advocate ever since she was diagnosed with LBD in December 2006. Between her age and her illness she has done remarkably well these past eight years. I feel very fortunate that her day to day needs are met by an excellent team of care takers and medical staff. They do a wonderful job of keeping me informed, as well. Still there is nothing like a face to face visit to truly understand what is going on and what can and can not be done to help.

Just inked! My great niece, Dawn's
granddaughter, McKenna, sporting
a tattoo she commissioned in honor
of her nana. The roses are Dawn's
favorite purple and the blue ribbon is
the symbol for colon cancer.
There are times in our lives when we are called to help those we love as they struggle with physical and mental illness. I feel very fortunate to be able to take the time. I also feel fortunate that I have the skill set to make comfort quilts. Some people believe in the power of crystals. I believe in the power of quilts. That is why years ago I founded an organization called The Power of the Quilt Project. The primary reason was to provide quilts for women undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. The mission has expanded over the years to include all forms of cancer, treatment of cancer and men, woman and children. PQP is not the only organization that provides comfort quilts for others. Here is a list of just a few of the organizations that either use quilts as a fund raising means for charity or donate quilts to those in need of a hug:

1. The Power of the Quilt Project

2. Project Linus

3. Fiberart for a Cause

4. Quilts of Valor

If you know of an organization not on this list that provides comfort quilts please let me know in the comments section of the blog.

In this season of giving that is followed immediately by a time to set your intention for the new year, why not commit to making at least one quilt in 2015 for an organization that touches your heart.

1 comment:

  1. I commit to making at least one comfort quilt to donate to some organization. Thank you for the prompt and for sharing. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete