Friday, May 8, 2015

Week in Review - 05/08



Module #1 of Deconstructed Sunrise is assembled
and ready for quilting. I used Ann Holmes's
No Sewing Until You Quilt It  to turn under the
applique pieces. The pieces are then adhered
to French fuse. 


Note the upper left rectangle. This is Module #1
 of Deconstructed Sunrise that I
pieced this week.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

You may have noticed that periodically I give credit to my husband, Dana B. Eagles, as my photographer. All the photos of my work featured in my blog are taken by him. However, the photos don't go directly from the camera to the blog. First, I select what I think are the best ones. He usually gives me at least four of each image to choose from. Once I have chosen this week's images I edit them through Photoshop Elements. I use three tools from Photoshop Elements on almost every photo. The first tool is the Straighten Tool. This tool is used to run a line across the horizon of the photo as you would like it to be. Once the line is set the photo automatically adjusts, shifting a few degrees right or left so that the horizon is correct. This fixes any issue with the work being hung slightly askew while it is being photographed. Next I remove any extraneous edges, generously cropping the work. This allows the work to shine versus the distracting, uneven edges that will ultimately get cropped on the actual work. Finally, because the image will be shared on the internet I Save for Web, selecting a resolution, usually high, that will load relatively quickly on computers, but still be clear especially should you choose to click on the image and see an enlarged version.

The idea for Deconstructed Sunrise is to piece it with
whole cloth sections, pieced sections and photo transfers.
Can you find the section I cut from the lower left corner
here in Module #1 up above?
This was a very busy week. May 1st was the kickoff of the National Bike Challenge. Dana and I are participating for the third year in a row. The weather has been so perfect that we couldn't resist taking advantage of it. We logged 123 miles over the past six days!! For the most part our cycling took place before or after work, but as you can see it did not keep me away from the studio. Here is what I accomplished between rides:

1) Deconstructed Sunrise (Due November 30, 2015) - Continue piecing - Done!

 2) Free motion quilting practice. - Done!

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015 - 39.5/126

4) Perform a random act of kindness - Done!
I will be interspersing sections of color with sections of
purple in Module #2 along with another photo transfer
from the original sunrise photo. 

5) Do some surface design experiments - Skipped


I will be taking some time away from writing Gwyned Trefethen's Musings. I will be back in June. When I return here is where I plan to focus my attention:


1) Deconstructed Sunrise (Due November 30, 2015) - Continue piecing

 2) Free motion quilting practice.

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015

4) Perform a random act of kindness
I took a few moments off piecing Deconstructed Sunrise
to work on my free motion quilting. This week I added
the highlights to the stalk and began work on the lower leaf.

5) Do some surface design experiments

I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

8 comments:

  1. You have some truly amazing pieces in progress. Deconstructed Sunrise looks like it will be quite stunning. Did you hand-dye the fabrics yourself? They are beautiful and give such depth to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking. I tend to use a mixture of fabric that I have hand painted, dyed and even done some surface design work on with a heavy dose of commercial fabrics. Whatever works best or tickles my fancy is what goes in the quilt. The orange and purple whole cloth fabric at the top of Module #1 was one of my very first hand painted fabrics. It has been hanging out in my stash for 15 years or so.

      Delete
  2. I like Deconstructed Sunrise too; it is a very interesting move to have the corner of realism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIssed you in Portland, Gwyned, but your name came up often as there was discussion about the up-coming Canadian exhibits and there was a panel of international artists. I met Gul LaPorte (France), Maggi Birchenough (UK, Europe, Middle East -- she is decidedly UK!), Lin Hsin-Chen (Taiwan) and 2 gals from Australia. I hope your time away is a refreshment for you...and look forward to your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll miss reading your creative adventures during your pause from blogging but hope the time away will allow for some rest, relaxation, and a lot of studio time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting us know you are taking a hiatus! Last time you were gone a few weeks I was worried about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so nice to worry about me. Life sometimes requires that I take a break from writing my blog, mostly for other fun and enticing things.

      Delete
  6. Hello Gwyned,

    I love the way you have turned the sunrise into a piece of colour study. The pinks for module 2 are so subtle and restful.

    Oh good, slow progress with the FMQ. I am going at a snail's pace with mine. You make me feel so much better. The weather is good so I am making progress with the vegetable plot instead.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete