Friday, August 26, 2016

Week in Review 2016 - 08/26


Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:


I am working on one of the blocks that will
complete row 9 of Siren's Song.
Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher stated that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." How true. It is a good reminder when approaching a project of staggering proportions to determine what the first step is and take it. Otherwise it is easy to get hung up on the magnitude of the project. How to keep going when the first step, the first one hundred steps, or in Tzu terms perhaps 500 miles worth of steps have been taken? Time and effort have been expended getting this far. Turning back is no easier than moving forward. What to do? Keep on plodding. This is precisely what I have been doing with Sirens Song, one unit and one block at a time. 

1) Create 11 Siren's Song blocks. - Not even close.

I think I made four blocks this week. I am half way through another five.

2) Free motion quilting practice - Not done

3) Do some surface design work - Not done

4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open. - Done
This block is from row 9 of Siren's Song.
Can you spot the one commercial fabric?

The journey continues next week. There will be a few more blocks to make for Siren's Song, then it is time to focus in on the next phase of the journey. Here is my itinerary:

1)  Siren's Song:
a) Finish row 9
b) Select image to be seen through the porthole.
c) Design backing fabric
d) Have fabric printed

2) Free motion quilting practice

3) Do some surface design work

4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open.


I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

8 comments:

  1. I'm guessing the upper right in the square within a square. It looks like a Batik to me, but then I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't asked the question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is the same as Pattilou's, but it really makes no difference, they are all beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't even venture a guess)) I just love it all - I love storm at sea and I'm currently crushing on teal/aqua hues))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some weeks are just slower than others but your one step at a time plodding will get you there in the end. I still love how this is evolving. On another note, thanks for the link to Laura Kemshall's post in the previous post: fascinating reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy seeing a well designed featuring excellent complex piecing.....even though I balk at tackling them myself.....so thank you for continuing to share your latest piece and your process. It gives us something to strive for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your color combination and looking forward to see more :)

    ReplyDelete