Friday, September 16, 2016

Week in Review 2016 - 09/16

Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Lola relaxes in the sunshine just
to the left of my sewing table.
I must have some reptilian blood. Yesterday the sun was blanketing my studio in a way it rarely does in Appleton, Wisconsin. I was tempted to climb atop my sewing table and let the sun envelope me. As you can see my cat thought her condo, just to the left of my sewing table was purrfect. It is amazing how an afternoon of sunshine can elevate my mood. I was able to experience the progress I made on Siren's Song in a way I haven't for weeks now. 

Although Siren's Song still has a long way to go before it is finished, I have started my next immersion project. I signed up for SAQA's Seminar on Stitch. You must be a SAQA member to join, but the seminar alone is worth an annual membership. SAQA's Education Committee has pulled together a series of articles, created videos, provides a discussion Board and yesterday we had our first video conference. The highlight for me was learning about Yvette Stanton's book, The Left-Handed Embroider's Companion. Actually she has two books, the other is for right handers. If you are left handed, you know why I am exploding with joy over a book that breaks down approximately 175 different embroidery stitches from a left hander's perspective. I've already placed my on-line order. 

I spent a focused hour or so each day this week on the Stitch seminar, but I also found time  to attend to the following:

Detail from Siren's Song taken after several
rows were pieced together.
1)  Siren's Song - finish piecing the partial blocks that will be surrounding the sunset. - Done!

Even better, I seamed together the blocks in the top two rows and then stitched those blocks together. 

2) Free motion quilting practice - No

3) Do some surface design work - Done

I'm counting all that research/reading on Stitch as doing surface design work.
4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open. - Yes

The National Bike Challenge is wrapping up. I made my 2,000 miles for the summer. The trick is finding ways to bike when the weather is conducive or as I did this morning, finding an alternative exercise vs. not exercising at all. 


In competitive sports such as biking, running and swimming, training involves gradually pushing farther, harder, faster through speed drills and endurance bouts. Shortly before a key competitive event that practice drops off dramatically. This is called tapering. The body, used to expending much greater energy gets jumpy, eager to do the work it is used to. I feel tapered. I am ready to attack Siren's Song next week. I feel as though I can power through the final piecing. Then it is on to the next challenge - the quilting! Why stop there? Here is next week's plan:

1)  Siren's Song:

a) Finish piecing 
b) Piece backing
c) Prep for quilting
d) Begin quilting

2) Free motion quilting practice

3) Do some surface design work

4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open.



I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

4 comments:

  1. I've registered for SAQA seminar too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for all the inspiration you give us. And now, you've given me a new resource. I jumped right over to Amazon and ordered the left handed book. I hope it has a lot of directional stitches for me to learn. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lovely workroom which I see has been cat approved. I have a sofa by my work area which is full sun in fall, winter and early spring. My cat and i absorb some energy there sometimes. When i feel i am shutting down, assigning myself discrete, firmly defined tasks gets me through it and maybe I come out the other side recharged. A mental rest. Siren is beautiful in its subtle color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see hand stitching becoming more and more popular. people need to slow down and stitch

    ReplyDelete