Friday, October 21, 2016

Week in Review 2016 - 10/21


Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Do you find yourself tongue-tied when asked questions about what you do? I know I do. Why? Perhaps it is because there are so many different ways to answer the same question and how to choose the right response for the one inquiring can be tricky. 

Siren's Song is coming along
nicely. I've quilted most of the
light and blue background sections.
Now I am finishing up the mid value
greens. Such a large quilt,
72" H x 56" W, intensely quilted
does take many hours and multiple
spools of thread.
One question that has me stumped no matter what answer I give is, "How long does it take you to make a quilt?" Here are some possible answers:

1) The snarky response: As long as it takes.

2) The precise answer: 295 hours 33 minutes and 26 seconds. OK, that might be  snarky, too, but it is fairly close to how long it will take me to make Siren's Song. It will be my primary project for close to 20 weeks. I do wonder if anyone asking the question really wants to know the exact time it takes.

3) The honest answer, which can also sound a bit rude: A lifetime. Each quilt made teaches me something that I can choose to bring forward into the next one. 

4) What has just occurred to me that I might try out the next time: However, long it takes, it is worth it to me. Every minute, even when I am struggling, is a joy.

This week I got to spend many solid blocks of hours free motion quilting Siren's Song. Yes, it was a joyful week:

1)  Continue quilting Siren's Song - Done!

2) Free motion quilting practice - Done!

This is a detail from this week's progress.
Reminder, if you right click on the image a new
window should open and you will see an
enlarged version of the image. Much
easier to see the quilting that way. :)
3) Do some surface design work - Done!

I continue to do a little hand stitching most days. My Hungarian Braided Chain stitch is finally becoming second nature.
4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open. - Done!

My old hiking shoes were perfect. They provided just the right amount of support. There was plenty of room for my toes to feel comfortable. My heels stayed firmly in place. No riding up and down resulting in dreaded blisters. However, I had literally worn them into the ground. The tread was nearly non existent, and with a rubber sole they can't be resoled. Still I wore them. Looking for replacements, but never finding the right ones. Several weeks ago I bought replacement hiking shoes. Did I wear them? No, I shut down, fearful of actually walking in them. What if they didn't work out? Today, I took the plunge. I did my usual 5K tour of the neighborhood. No blisters. 

I'm looking forward to continuing the joy with more of the same next week:

1)  Continue quilting Siren's Song

2) Free motion quilting practice

3) Do some surface design work

4) Beware of when I find myself shutting down and find a way to stay open.


I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

5 comments:

  1. Siren's Song is beautiful! I love the subtle colour and piecing, and your quilting is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always approach the "how long did it take you to make that" question as an opportunity to talk about what I do and how I do it. I think that most people ask that question because they don't know how to relate to fiber art and don't have any understanding of the techniques and materials used to create it like they do when they look at an oil or watercolor painting. So it's their way of starting a dialogue and since they don't have any experience to draw on to ask a specific question, they ask a generic one about how much time it takes to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gwyned,

    The quilting is amazing, and I love the pastel shades. And so many pins!

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete