Friday, June 23, 2017

Week in Review 2017 - 06/23

Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

LeeAnna Paylor, whose blog is Not Afraid of Color, suggested I try my hand at writing an "I Like" post. After the initial knee jerk reaction (more work; no way) I have decided to give it a go this week. Why the change of heart? It's simple really, I begin each morning by sitting at my desk and writing two pages in my gratitude journal. Much of what I am grateful for are things that I like. So, it isn't a big stretch to share some of the things I like wit you. 


Picking Up the Pieces #4,
my current in work in progress.
1) I like routine. The very fact that I start my day by writing in my gratitude journal means I don't have to wonder how to start my day.

2) I've been keeping a gratitude journal without missing a single day for approximately 20 years. I like to write with a Uniball Vision Elite Micro pen in a spiral lined notebook, preferably college ruled. The pen is vital. I like the way it glides over the paper. I'm left handed and writing with ink, especially using a ball point pen, results in blobs on the paper and ink smears on my hand. The ruled paper helps me with alignment.

3) I like getting my exercise in next. What I do varies with the weather and the day of the week. What rarely varies is getting my exercise in before the "work" of the day begins. This also means I only have to change from pajamas, to exercise clothes, to daily clothes, and back to pajamas most days. I also don't have to stop what I am doing, breaking the flow of concentration to get out and exercise. 

4) I like fruit in my cereal and since discovering almond coconut milk, that is my preferred cereal milk. Yum.  I am lactose sensitive and avoiding cow's milk makes me feel much better. I like feeling comfortable after eating. 

5) I like having a designated, always set up, studio space to create fiber art in. When I began quilting 30 years ago I used our dining room. Eventually, I took over a spare bedroom. It was cramped, but functional. Our move, seven years ago, gave me an actual studio, with room to spare. It's heaven. Although, I may procrastinate walking into the studio, I find when I do, it is easy to get work. I am like one of Pavlov's dogs. I may not salivate when I enter my studio, but I naturally start working with very little thought.

Here is what I have been working on this week: 

A detail from Picking Up the Pieces #4. Right
click on the image for a better view of the
feathers I quilted in the pink sections.
1) Work on Picking Up the Pieces #4 - Done!

2) Finish Picking Up the Pieces #1 and #3 - Not yet.

3) Pot(s) made this week - Done!

I have been practicing filling space with feathers while doing the free motion quilting on Picking Up the Pieces #4. I had lots of practice this week. The more I did the better I got at the logic of where to start, where to go next, and how to fill the odd spaces, while making it look like what is there was my intention all along.

4) Free motion quilting practice - Done!

Next week will be more of the same. Perhaps that should be less of the same. I have various commitments which will reduce, but not eliminate my studio time. I look forward to spending what time I do have on the following:

1) Work on Picking Up the Pieces #4

2) Finish Picking Up the Pieces #1 and #3

3) Pot(s) made this week

4) Free motion quilting practice


I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Gwyned,
    I love this - your journal idea, the idea of a 'like' list, and your list. I start every day with a prayer of all the things I'm thankful for, followed with all the reasons it will be a great day. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the I like thoughts, you seem to accomplish a lot, I have a non-routine life, and I am not getting as much done as when I worked and had to fit in bits and pieces of sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such an interesting insight to your life/thoughts/'likes'......well said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your 'likes', Gwyned. I can relate to all of them! 20 years of consistent writing is admirable - do you ever go back and read them? Wonder how gratitude evolves...hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your 'likes' too - they chime with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post! The I Like posts I've been writing are definitely influenced by what I am thankful for each week. I'm really impressed by your Gratitude journal and the long time you've been writing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I saw Picking Up the Pieces over at Linky Tuesday. I really like that quilt. And yes, the right pen can make the writing process so much better. I like Uniball, too!

    ReplyDelete