Friday, February 2, 2018

Week in Review 2018 - 02/02

Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Can you have more than one swan song? The definition is so final the answer seems to be no. However, I conjecture life is a series of swan songs. Just as the conclusion of years of schooling, such as graduation from high school, doesn't mean one will not go on to attend college and from there pursue post graduate degrees, can't artist's careers be seen the same way? Picasso's blue period proceeded his cubism period. He must have made a final "blue" painting, perhaps overlapping or blending into his cubism period. Would this final blue painting be Picasso's blue period swan song?
Sunrise Over Little Lake Butte des Morts
4.5" x 6.5"

I see my own work this way, on a continuum with both clear and misty periods. This week has been bittersweet, as I made my SAQA Spotlight Auction piece. It is likely the last artwork I will make in my Appleton studio. It is my studio swan song, and perhaps my last homage to the view from our condo. It will not be my final artwork. Once we settle into our new home in Cohasset, Massachusetts, I expect new inspiration will fuel my work.

I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

5 comments:

  1. Life is a journey and you are melancholy about the closing of a journey that has been so long and so good. Understandably so. It’s hard to say good bye. Making a landscape of your view is a perfect studio swan song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwyned...it's been a while since I've taken time to read the posts linked to 'Off the Wall Friday'...so I had to dig back and read several of yours to catch up. Moving from Wisconsin to Massachusetts?! That's a big one...but I wish you all the best. I know your studio there will bring you many years of creativity. Thanks for the link to the post on eye sight...aging eyes are my concern too. And...I noticed your writing style has changed a bit. I really like the gentler flow of your more recent posts. Blessings to you and your DH, and I hope we catch up at another conference one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks just like your sunrise photo from earlier post. You've been musing on change haven't you? This will be a big one, and like my husband told me, we didn't move because we disliked the house, we'll always miss the house! I hope it goes smoothly my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am musing on change. With all the clutter on our walls erased, and your two pieces having pride of place, I wonder why I didn’t get clear the walls ages ago. Complacency was a large part. As a few items return, very gradually, I know I will be more selective and more in tune with what truly pleases me. Thank you for provoking that insight! Your wisdom and musings, along with your splendid work, will be with me wherever you, or I, live.

    ReplyDelete