Friday, February 8, 2019

Week in Review 2019 - 02/08


Finding True North
24"H x 18" W
January/February 2019 Art Quilt Challenge
The adage life is short, eat dessert first, resonates for me when it comes to making artwork. Spending time in my studio is my dessert. When it comes to dessert, chocolate rules and canned fruit cocktail, just doesn't cut it.

With 30 years of making artwork I have learned what I enjoy making and what just isn't worth it. Perfection, for example, is never my aim. I do enjoy refining and hopefully, improving and/or learning from each piece I make.

The basic piecing of the geese entrails and quarter sun of Finding True North, was relatively easy since these could be paper pieced. What wasn't easy, and what I have zero patience for, was working out how to piece the entrails into the background. So, I didn't. Instead I turned under the seam allowance and attached them to the background with a blind hem stitch. No hair tearing or perfection required.
Finding True North - detail

FindingTrue North isn't done yet. I'm looking forward to the next phase, free motion quilting. I'm also contemplating helping the geese pop just a bit more. That will have to wait until next week.

I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the finding-less-painful-approaches. I love the entrails (I too will paper piece any time I'm called upon to piece), and they look great appliques on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection is not my goal either. Perfection is highly overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your approach using the blind hem stitch and can't wait to see it with the free motion quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice not to try to piece those lines of geese. More trouble than it would be worth when applique looks just as good. Lots of space for quilting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Gwyned, for deciding to stitch them on! It will probably look even better than if you had pieced! Beside now you have time for some extra chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very exciting project and process, Gwyned. Can't wait to see where you take the quilting. Time very well spent...
    bethany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don’t they say that perfection is over rated? But yours looks pretty darn perfect to me. I think you will enhance it with some of your incredible FM quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your geese trails are beautiful -- and I applaud how you worked out their installation. (The paper piecing would have completely daunted me!) Living in the True North ('strong and free' as our anthem goes), I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That certainly brightens up a wintry day. And for someone who doesn't aim at perfection, the points on that sun look near perfection to me. And your turning those curved geese into appliques is pure wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so absolutely correct--no hair tearing or perfection is a goal in itself and you attained the effect you wanted without a problem! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete