Saturday, January 5, 2013

Perfection is...

In my last post I spoke about signing on for another year of Leah Day assignments beginning with her whole cloth outline for "Express Your Love." The first assignment is to thread paint words coming out of the mouth of the goddess, or as I like to think of her, a muse. I had thought to use my chosen Yoga mantra - "Let go." I could even imagine linking repeated Let goes until the final one would float apart from the rest. However, today, while driving around doing errands I had another thought that came to be fully formed from nowhere. I will be quilting "Perfection is a journey, not a destination."

My journey this past week continued:

1) Shore's Edge:
Detail of fully quilted beach panel portion
of Shore's Edge.




a) The beach panel is fully quilted and blocked.
b)  I purchased beads, beading thread and eyelash yarn to embellish the foam.

2) Pictorial Painting Class:

a) I made a second attempt at Blocking, Whisping and Pulling Paint from a line. In the upper right corner of Attempt #2 the paint is pulled from the line to give a sense of light source and shadow. In the lower left corner the paint is pulled first to one side and then to the other. This technique is used for crevices.

Attempt #1
Attempt #2














b) I have assembled the Calla Lilly pattern to be painted.

Assembled Calla Lilly
ready for painting.



3) Leah Day assignments:

a) Purchased more water soluble marking pens for light and dark fabric.

b) Repurchased Easy Thread Needles because I couldn't locate the last set. Put the new set away and found the last set. (Perfection is a journey, not a destination. Let go....)

c) Purchased  just shy of a bolt of good thread count black fabric. It is currently tumbling in the dryer.

My Goals for next week:

1) Shore's Edge:

a) Begin the beadwork on the beach panel.
b) Baste the ocean panel and thread paint the seashells.

2) Pictorial Painting Class:

a) Practice the painting techniques one more time.
b) Start painting the Calla Lilly.

3) Leah Day assignments:

a) Mark the quilt.
b) Baste the quilt.
c) Quilt along the marked lines.

Of course, I would like to accomplish more but if I manage all of this it will be a varied, engaging and full journey.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...your goals are impressive! And they are for this week???? Leah's latest QAL is so very interesting. Will be observing this time around, however, as I have a few other goals that will keep me adequately occupied! Hugs, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are my goals for this week. That is a pretty typical work week for me. I devote three days to studio time, do hand work for breaks once in the morning and once in the afternoon and devote a fourth day to the business of quilting. I also handle e-mail first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon and write several blogs (personal that you read - bless you) and several private ones as part of a critique group and goal setting group. This isn't a hobby for me - it is a blend of avocation and vocation.

      Delete