Friday, September 18, 2015

Week in Review 2015 - 09/18

Detail from Deconstructed Sunrise #3
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

As a teenager we can't wait to reach the magic age of 21, only to quake at the idea of turning 30. Is it so bad to age? Beats the alternative, right? Best of all there is all that experience to draw from. I didn't start quilting until shortly after I turned 30. It was a way to maintain my sanity as a stay at home mother. I quilted during nap time, then during the school day and now that I am an empty nester I manage to quilt for three full days a week most weeks. With 30 years of quilting behind me I have developed quite a tool box of techniques. Elizabeth Barrett Browning cover your ears.  How do I piece thee? Let me count the ways. With Deconstructed Sunrise #3 I have combined two techniques. I began with rotary cut gentle curves and have no moved on to glue basted turned appliqué. 
Deconstructed Sunrise #3


Last week I shared a link to how to handle gentle curves. This week I will share the next phase of my construction using glue basted turned appliqué. Many artists choose to fuse their appliqué without turning the edges under (raw edge appliqué.) I prefer to turn my edges unless a raw edge is called for as part of the design. This method does take some prep work. The time is well worth it, though.

You may recall that I began with the basic design for this quilt drawn out on graph paper. Next I transferred the pattern to freezer paper. The graph paper image allows me to place each piece where it needs to go. The freezer paper is cut up to make templates. If you look at the first image in the blog (Detail from Deconstructed Sunrise #3) you can see the graph paper image on the left, the #58 and unmarked french fuse. On the right are two templates that have been marked with red positioning lines. What you can't see is that each template has a number that matches the numbered templates on the graph paper pattern. There is also a wavy pale orange line. This is my trick for remembering which seam allowance to turn under and which not. 

Surface design play at a SAQA IL/WI gathering
this past weekend. 
The second image in the blog shows my current progress. The blue sky is "hidden" behind the very large template and I have started to position the outer arc of the top sun. This is the first time I have tried using glue basted turned appliqué on my design wall. So far, I'm thrilled. The glue is holding each piece in place. The tricky part will be moving it off the wall and onto my ironing table. What appeals to me about this method is the surprise element. I have learned to trust my intuition when selecting and placing fabric over the years. I know what I choose will work, just not how it will work. 

I am at that intense, on a roll, can't wait to see what happens time in making Deconstructed Sunrise #3. Still, I managed to take time out to keep up my free motion quilting skills. Here is how the week went:
Free motion quilting practice. This is another in Tracy's
series of 100 free motion quilting motifs in 100 days.

1) Continue piecing Deconstructed Sunrise #3 (Due November 30, 2015) - Done!

2) Free motion quilting practice. - Done!  

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015 - 74/126

4) Perform a random act of kindness - Done!

5) Unexpected Bonus. - I had some fun playing  with Gelli prints and stamping with other SAQA IL/WI during a local pod meeting.

It is taking all my restraint to work on business today, I'm having so much fun making Deconstructed Sunrise #3. With no conference calls scheduled next week, I am looking forward to another three full days of studio time. Yippee! Here is what I plan to do with it:

1) Continue piecing Deconstructed Sunrise #3 (Due November 30, 2015)

2) Free motion quilting practice. 

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015

4) Perform a random act of kindness 

I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

5 comments:

  1. When you turn under with the glue basting, are you glueing the fabric to the freezer paper? If so, how will you remove the paper once it's sewn together? I've heard of others doing this but have never tried it. Thank you for sharing your process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question. No you are NOT gluing the fabric to freezer paper. Step one, iron the freezer paper template to the fabric. Trim to include an approximate 1/4" seam allowance all around. Flip the trimmed piece to its backside. Apply glue to the backside of the fabric along the seam allowance. Use the template as your guide to glue the seam allowance to the wrong side of the fabric. Finally, add more glue to backside of the seam allowance, so that when you position the fabric it will stick to the french fuse and stay there. I use an acid free glue stick which gives you multiple tries to get it right. Once you are happy and can don't need the templates to guide you, remove them. Finally, fix everything place to the french fuse. This holds the pieces in position while you quilt.

      Delete
  2. Your descriptions of your processes have been so well written.....and I'm sure very helpful to those who are new to this method. I too prefer the turn under method of appliqué. Sure it take more time but I'm not punching a time clock! Overall, how fortunate that there are so many different techniques that quilters can choose to accomplish applique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just fascinating. I don't have enough confidence yet to trust my fabric choices completely like that. I would like to try this method out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gwyned,

    There is definitely an element of suspense with the sunrise project. I'm really looking forward to seeing the colours.

    Lovely FMQ design. I swear the inspiration was a plate of pasta - before the sauce went on.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete