Friday, July 27, 2018

Week in Review 2017 - 07/27



I made row 5 for Cohasset Sunrise this week.
What I love about making work in my Shifting Value series is the naturally occurring
contrasting values with the more subtle blending. It creates a wonderful dappled light.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

I've been pondering color recently. OK, I've been obsessively pondering color. Why? Because we are just over a month from renovating our new home and this requires color decisions. Every time I look up at the main ceiling of our home, I smile. It never, ever would have occurred to me to paint it  purple, especially above rich, creamy walls, but that is what the original owners of the home opted for. They had a great sense of whimsy when it came decorating choices. Often their choices can feel like a big mishmash of ideas. My goal is to reduce the chaos, tone things down a bit, but not loose the fun, unexpected factor that drew me to the home in the first place.

An individual row can feel chaotic,
but when the rows are laid out one
on top of each other, there is a cohesiveness.

Renovations are constrained by budgets. This helps with the decision of what to let go and what to keep. For example, the granite counter top and tiles they chose for the kitchen wouldn't even make my top ten list. Since it is an open floor plan, the kitchen is very much on view. It will stay as is. However, I can repaint the walls, and maybe even the built in cabinet. I'm determined not to play it safe and paint everything cream. What to do instead has proven to be far more difficult than I thought it would be. We have a poster board painted with the two most likely contenders for the accent wall. I keep flipping it to one side, a subtle pale blue/purple and back to the other side, the same rich purple of the ceiling. I place the board in one spot, then in another. What works here, doesn't work there and vice versa. These are the two colors from our master suite, so I can see how they work together. Still no decision.

This is the view standing by my Bernina.
Note how the individual pieces are laid
out in units by value. Lola is making sure
they all stay in position. Look up and you
can see the purple ceiling. 
What surprises me, is that I can select a palette for my artwork with only a few shuffles and substitutions. If I get part way through the work, run out of a crucial fabric, I only have to turn to my stash and I find something new to add to the mix. This is precisely what I have been doing with Cohasset Sunrise. So, why is it so difficult to choose paint for our home?

I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

7 comments:

  1. Cohasset Sunrise is such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera, that is very kind of you to say.

      Delete
  2. I would call that ceiling more of a lavender, than purple. It looks great with your new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ceiling could be called lavender. It reminds me of our hosta plants. Perhaps one of the reasons I was drawn to this house is because the first owners used a sunrise/sunset palette. It's a little over the top for my taste, but certainly gives a nod to my sunrise series palette.

      Delete
  3. What an exciting time for you.......choosing paint colors does seem so much more difficult than selecting fabric......perhaps because the choice is something one has to live with for a long time. You have a great eye....you'll find the right one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mary. In the recent past my homes have been painted a variety of Benjamin Moore Whites. Very soothing and works well with art. However, I'm trying to push myself to be more adventurous. I've always admired others who have had "fun" with their homes. This is likely to be my last chance. After this we will move to senior housing where the development gives you very limited, neutral choices to decorate with.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see the blocks coming together on that quilt, for I really didn't know where you were going with them. Now, I see. Lovely!

    As for paint, I had 'fun' with my last home in Calgary, but then moved to a house completely done in wall-paper, mostly difficult to remove. Quite a difference, and one I'm not enthused to tackle!

    ReplyDelete