Friday, August 10, 2018

Week in Review 2018 - 08/10


Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

I am an adequate cook. I can follow a recipe, although I am far more likely to make a modification or two or more to suit my personal preferences. What I have never quite gotten the hang of is making a meal. It is the timing a meal requires that eludes me. Fortunately, my husband enjoys cooking and he is comfortable with timing. However, I am the one who is the most fascinated of the two of us when it comes to watching shows about cooking.

Cohasset Sunrise
Only two more blocks to go...

This week I started watching Chef's Table, a series of shows available through Netflix. I began questioning why this grabbed me more than most. The answer, I believe, is because each episode  can be distilled into the featured chef discovering his/her passion, pursuing it through a roller coaster of successes and failures, and ending during a period of contentment. True they are all lauded for what they have achieved. However, it is clear it isn't success that motivates them, but instead it is riding the wave of the ah ha moment. Isn't that what making art is all about from the artist's perspective, the drive to explore and tweak, never satisfied, always searching, and with a clear focus? The lesson I find myself learning (actually one I must be refreshed on repeatedly) is not to worry what others think of your art. None of the chefs featured would be where they are today if they listened the opinions of others more than they listened to their own inner voice.

A series of cats - same pose,
different materials, patterns and sizes

So, I continue to work on Cohasset Sunrise. This is a piece made in a manner that I never grow tired of. Each new iteration of work made in the Shifting Value series engages me and teaches me. I finish eager to try again.

I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

6 comments:

  1. You truly highlighted the essence of why so many of use create.....the ah ha.....moments....no matter how far and few between they made be or even how often they come along....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised, Mary, that you were able to distill the essence of what I was trying to get across and understand the point. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Really wonderful to watch this beautiful piece as it evolves under your master plan for letting the quilt have it's own voice. Just the value changes excite the eye for sure. Oh, and you would love Master Chef Australia on GUSTO - check it out - so many of the chefs are amateurs and having the ah ha moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn. Seems Masterchef Australia isn't available through my usual resources. Perhaps some day in the future. Thank you for the suggestion and for your generous words about Cohasset Sunrise.

      Delete