Monday, December 10, 2012

Quilting Along With Leah Day - Week 43

Front Side of "Scribble"

This week's free motion quilting design was named Cat Hair Ball or Scribble. The way it turned out when I let it flow naturally was reminiscent of a pretzel, just without the cross. This is definitely a quick, easy and soothing pattern. Leah recommends it for sashings. I tried it as an all over design. My recommendation would to be to use it for a young child's blanky.


In Leah's instructions for executing Scribble she mentions that the "bird's nest" or what I think of as eyelashes that can be seen on occasion with this pattern, on the back of the quilt is NOT a tension issue but an issue of how it is easy to be change the speed of your hands as you swoop around a curve, thereby getting out of synch with the speed of the needle, controlled by your foot on the peddle. Although I rarely get an out and out bird's nest on the back of my quilt any more, I do have a tendency to get eyelashes. So, I challenged myself to reduce them when practicing Scribble. They are there, but in general the eyelashes are less frequent and most are mere stubbles.

Backside of "Scribble"
Note I wrapped it with echo quilting

Another goal I gave myself with this assignment was to keep the quilt fairly open or at a midscale, versus my tendency to go for small scale and even micro scale quilting. This keeps the quilt more supple. However, I find it trickier to avoid the eyelashes and maintain an even scale in mid to large scale quilting versus small scale quilting.

Detail of the backside of "Scribble"
In some areas the eyelashes are obvious. In other areas
you have to look closely to see hints of them.


Backside of the "Pod" practice piece.
An excellent way to compare the designs
from the last three assignments.



4 comments:

  1. I saw your photo on the Leah blog for the last weeks. And now, just click in it, and I´m in love with your work and your blog ... I'm your new follower ...

    Maricarmen, de palabradepatchwork.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feliz Navida, Maricarmen. Thank you for your kind words and for following my blog.

      Delete
  2. Even with the eyelashes it looks good. It has a uniform randomness to it;) And it does look like pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always good to hear from you, Danielle. Great oxymoron (uniform randomness) and so true.

      Delete