Friday, November 3, 2017

Week in Review 2017 - 11/03

Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

A recent sample of the knitted knockers made
by our volunteers.
I finished my last post by saying I would be taking a week off. Not even close. That week turned into a month. What whirlwind of a month it was. 

Forest Flora


October is breast cancer awareness month. As co-founder of Knitted Knockers of the Fox Cities, being present to promote and participate in what was happening locally took precedence. I spent Thursdays knitting with other volunteers at the Fox Valley Hematology and Oncology Center in Appleton, WI. Many people dropped by to ask what we were doing, share their stories, and ask how they could help. We loved hearing stories of what a difference getting their first pair of knockers has meant to the women who received them. We had an information table at Making Strides against Breast Cancer. The primary purpose of the walk is fund raising for breast cancer research. The secondary purpose and why we were there is to let those who are being treated for or are survivors of breast cancer, know what services are there for them. Over 2,000 people joined the walk. We were featured in two local magazines, as well. The result is we have added more cancer treatment centers and oncologists to our list of knocker providers in the Fox Cities. 

Detail shot of Forest Flora

When I wasn't busy promoting Knitted Knockers, I turned my attention to Habit for Humanity. I donated 40 of my quilts from one of my first to one made just last year. The staff was welcoming and appreciative of my gift. I received a tour of the facility and an education on the process a family must go through before they can qualify for the program and hopefully, be selected as one of the next home owners. Our local Habit helped 16 families become homeowners in 2017, and I believe they have a similar number selected for 2018. I had the pleasure of attending two of the home dedications and presenting one of my quilts to each of the families. What a privilege to be part of such a special moment in the new homeowners's lives!

Detail showing off the quilting, best
seen from the back side of Forest Flora
It is November and things have settled down a bit. It felt, so, so good to spend time in my studio again working on Forest Flora. Free motion quilting is the perfect antidote for busy times. Hopefully, next week I can get back to moving multiple projects forward in the studio. This is the plan:

1) Work on Forest Flora

2) Finish Picking Up the Pieces #1 and #3, #4

3) Pot(s) made this week

4) Free motion quilting practice

I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

5 comments:

  1. Really glad to see you back in my inbox this morning - thanks so much for all of the important volunteer work, Gwyned... especially SAQA where your contributions mean so much to each of us. Following along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kuddos to you for your volunteer efforts. It must be especially rewarding to be physically present to see the reaction of recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your generosity is astounding and with it grows my admiration for your work and you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to donate some of your quilts to Habitat for Humanity. I actually caught your interview on WBAY for Knitted Knockers - what a blessing for the women affected by breast cancer. On another note :) - your quilting on Forest Flora is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you for those kind words. I feel very blessed to have found a good home for my quilt overflow, a place to channel my wish to help others during difficult transitions in their lives, and still have time hone my free motion quilting skills.

      Delete