Friday, December 29, 2017

Week in Review 2017 - 12/29



Changing of the Guard
Tips, Thoughts, and Techniques:

2017 is coming to a close and 2018 is looming on the horizon, open to possibilities. It is a time of reflection. It is a time of eager anticipation about the future. On December 31st, Dana (my husband) and I officially retire. He is leaving a career in R&D spanning 43 years with the same company. I am leaving my role as SAQA's Exhibition Committee Chair, a post I have held for three years. It has been bittersweet as we say our goodbyes and words of thanks for those who have worked beside us. This isn't all we are leaving behind. We have an agreement to buy a home in Cohasset, Massachusetts and will soon put our Appleton, Wisconsin condo on the market. Yes, we did make sure there was a place for my studio. :) 
The sky is quilted with clouds.

It is clear 2018 will be a year of transition and adjustment for us. How will this impact my studio time? So far, quite positively. I've actually had far more time in my studio this past week, than I have had in years. In fact I nearly completed Changing of the Guard in a single month, from germ of an idea through completion. If we didn't have such a busy weekend planned, I would be tempted to push ahead and finish on December 31st, just to say I did it.
The water is quilted with ripples.

Each year around this time I set a focus or intention for the year. In 2017 it was about making pots. In 2018, my plan is to stay open, not rush to conclusions, or do things the same way, simply because that is how it has always been done. I want to continue to questions rules. Why are they there? What purpose do they serve? Would another approach be better? Part of being open is being gentle on myself, accepting the natural fear that comes with change, while pushing forward anyway.

What are your plans for 2018?



I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

3 comments:

  1. I don'e really know if these retirements are something to congratulate on, but I firmly believe that everything in life is for the better, so - congratulations on opening new horizons and having new opportunities and Happy New Year! Love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a life change. It’s a hassle moving but you will be happy in the long run. You will have to purge some of that stuff that you’ve been saving for years “just in case I need it” but that’s a good thing. Is the Massachusetts place near the cape? The name sounds like it is. Is there a biking community there and a trail system? I know how important biking is to your body and soul. I’m so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your year of adventure!

    ReplyDelete