Friday, June 29, 2018

Week in Review 2018 - 06/29


Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

I have completed 12 of the 35 blocks for
Cohasset Sunrise. Now it is time to face
block #13, the first of 4 sun quadrants.
Gasp! It's time to face the blocks I dread piecing. I love the look of mariner's compass blocks, rays, NY Beauties, and double wedding rings, but balk at piecing them. I could simply fuse everything into place. I've done that and will do it again. However, if I want a crisp line with no threat of loose threads, I will opt for piecing every time. I confidently piece straight seams, can manage the scary Y seam, but when I face curved piecing, I feel as though I am asking myself to do a swan dive off of a high diving board. In other words, it is way out of my comfort zone. 

A partially completed Block #13

How do I overcome my fear? I take it one teeny tiny step at a time. The first was to select the fabric for the sun's rays. Done! Next, I printed out paper piecing patterns for the rays, and templates for the rest of the block. Done! I've even finished the paper piecing. I am gaining momentum, especially since I had do some problem solving. I have a limited amount of light value blue fabric at my disposal. I don't want to run out. So, I seamed scrap pieces together to create the sky fabric between the sun's rays. I can do this.  Curved piecing here I come.

Sometimes it is difficult to
tell where Lola ends and
the shadows begin. Her coloring
could have been the impetus for
the palette used by the original
owners of our new home. 


I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

8 comments:

  1. Curved piecing is no more difficult than straight piecing. Pin a lot if it makes you feel more confident, but you are still just putting the edges together and following the stitching line. The only real difference is that you may have to stop and adjust your fabric more often! You got this...and the fabric choices are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it is the natural stretching that results from pieces not cut across the grain of the fabric. When edges lay nicely on top of each other, even half square triangles piece well for me. Also, tend to make them oversized by a smidge, then trim to exact size. Curves just aren't as forgiving. I do pin, use registration marks, sew slowly, and yet I am far more likely to pucker a spot or two along the seam. I've stitched 100's of curved seams. Yet they still intimidate me. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

      Delete
  2. Oh love your first arc of the sun--i like the pieced fabric you made for them a lot. I love those types of patterns too, but also dread making them--I made one once and paper pieced it also...It came out pretty good, but my heart was in my throat the whole time!! Yours is just lovely with those muted background sky colors--just perfect--great courage and work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie Rose, especially for the empathy of where I am coming from. I finely started using some of the numerous sky fabrics I have painted over the years. Most of the sky blue is of my own making. I'm having so much fun using them, I am tempted to paint more.

      Delete
  3. The arc looks wonderfully great selection of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I may not do a daily stitch or leaf, but I do love combining scraps in pleasing ways.

      Delete
  4. I confess I admire your persistence. It's not the curves that would stop me; it's the paper piecing. My eyes simply *refuse* to cooperate, and I end up with backwards pieces! Your radiant sun pieces look great -- and the idea to piece the blue sections is particularly effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to read your process and appreciate your persistence. You will be rewarded with a beautiful Sunrise.

    ReplyDelete