Friday, July 13, 2018

Week in Review 2018 - 07/13



Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is fear of Friday the 13th, not be confused with triskaidekaphobia which is fear of the number 13. I've written a fair amount about fear over the years I've been writing this blog. Why? Because it is a topic intimately entwined with creating art. There is fear of failure. Just as paralyzing is fear of success. Thank goodness Friday the 13th and the number 13 don't phase me. I have enough fear to cope with simply walking into my studio and facing whatever challenge I've purposefully, or inadvertently created for myself.

Work on Cohasset Sunrise continues

I've been secretly trying to screw up my courage to start a regular practice of focused experimentation. I've watched with envy as other artists join the slow stitch movement, made a daily leaf, or create a variety of suns. Some how I just couldn't find the right project or incentive to get started. Then I saw it, the Monthly Art Project (MAP) facilitated by none other than Brenda Gael Smith. This had appeal. It took months of should I or shouldn't I join. I've done it now. I committed to completing a MAP. 

July's MAP 
Each MAP is unique, but it must be defined. I have decided to use something from my extensive studio supplies I have either never used or haven't used in over a year. Since this is my project I am interpreting this quite liberally. This month I pulled out Fantastic Fabric Folding  by Rebecca Wat. It must be close to a decade since I last attempted to make a flower from this book. I selected a flower I had never made before, a fairly simple rose. I succeeded, but was disappointed. It was too flat. However, the mere act of making the rose got me thinking about whether it would be possible to make 3D flowers following origami instructions. I found instructions for making a water lily on-line. I love it. I have a few kinks to work out and I am far to excited to let fear get in my way. 

Lola has no fear of the number 13.


Lola, my studio cat, is fearless. My studio is a loft that looks over the foyer of our home. One of her favorite spots is on the railing surrounding my studio, 13 feet above the floor below, where she can keep an eye on me, my husband's office just off the foyer, and of course the front door, should we have visitors.

I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

9 comments:

  1. I love a monthly challenge and had not heard of this one. Thank you for sharing it as now I am considering joining in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your MAP. Where do you think you will focus your energies?

      Delete
  2. Good for you! All it takes is the right project, it's a real struggle if it's not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it is your gel prints, leaves, or stitches you are working on, you are a constant inspiration Linda. I think this project will work. I need variety, accountability, and a clear set of "expandable" rules.

      Delete
  3. Such fun seeing what you are up to now that you are settled in your new place.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel like I have hit my stride again. No idea where I am going, but that is half the fun.

      Delete
  4. Awesome... and Brenda is just the inspiring artist friend you will get super support from along the way! Can't wait to see which flower comes next! Have fun! NO Fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my goal is to use those items bought to use someday and make sure someday comes. Maybe I'll end up with more flowers. There is no long term goal other than to play/experiment. I was delightfully surprised that my first attempt out of the gate resulted in that stunning lily. Felt like beginner's luck. Brenda is great at building community and nurturing. Certainly the fact that she is running MAP was a strong reason to join.

      Delete
  5. Your flower is terrific! Will you use it in a quilt? I also love the way your Cohasset Sunrise is progressing.

    ReplyDelete