Friday, August 3, 2018

Week in Review 2018 - 08/03

Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Decisions, decisions, decisions. In four weeks we will begin a significant renovation of our home. In preparation there are many decisions to be made. There are the basics of which walls to remove and which to add. Then there are the non-functional aesthetic decisions involving color and texture. Last week I shared how I had been brought up short by choosing a paint color for the living area. That decision has been made.

This will be the color of our accent wall
in the open living area.


We met with our contractor, yesterday. He asked us to select the carpets from a different  firm than he first recommended. So, off we went to pick out the carpets for the two bedrooms. I try to avoid rethinking decisions. However, there are times when revisiting a decision is a wise course of action. The original plan was for a green carpet in the guest room, but three months of living in our home and obsessing over the home's given palette, I started to think blue made more sense. What I wasn't expecting was to select a midnight blue.

What you can't see is the sparkle which
gives this series of carpets its name,
Starry Night. There are slim slivers of silver
interspersed in the deep blue pile.

What does this all have to do with my fiber art? Nothing and everything. Making art is all about decisions. Everything is a choice, this fabric or that? How should I construct it? Should there be a focal point? What should recede versus come forward? Will there be a light source? Should I use an all over quilting motif, vary it, and what should I use where? What is working? What isn't? The trick is to make the decisions, let each one inform the next, and have the confidence to make changes, even very radical changes to achieve the final artwork. I work both intuitively and with a flexible plan. The end result is rarely, as in almost never, what I thought it would be when I started out. That is both the excitement and terror. 

When I wasn't prepping for the renovation I made the next three blocks
for Cohasset Sunrise. This is one of those times where experience gives
me the confidence to move forward. 


I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays

6 comments:

  1. Renovation - never fun. Will it ever get done? Living without the normal routines but so worth it in the end. I hope you found a good contractor. They are few and far between at left around me. I waited months and months just to find someone to commit to doing my kitchen. It is fun to pick out stuff though. You have a good color sense so the decisions will come easy on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate on the contractor. He is the one who built the home 10 years ago. He is a well respected contractor in the area. His father started the business approximately 50 years ago. His son joined him, perhaps 35 years ago. I am also blessed to be married to someone who paid for his college by doing carpentry during the summer. In fact our contractor is so impressed with the prep work my husband has done on things such as how various recessed lights, outlets and switches should be moved, he has offered my husband a job doing something similar. My husband's father did something similar after he retired. Personally, I think it is a perfect match, at least worth considering.

      This renovation will require less picking out than the three others we have put ourselves through. We aren't redoing bathrooms or kitchens, nor will there be an addition. We are simply (right as though anything of this nature is simple) reconfiguring a couple of walls.

      Nothing like making fiber art for 30 years to teach you about color. :) Must admit I was surprised when the midnight blue starry night carpet grabbed me. That was instinctual. I held the painted swatches from the house I brought with me - and bam! it was the just the punch needed to add contrast and bring the rest of the main floor alive.

      Delete
  2. Being an artist always make decorating easier. I have had people comment on my house and gardens by saying that they know an artist lives here. Good luck with the reno. It's never fun to have your house torn apart, but the results are usually so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the reno is painless! Love that carpet-wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete